gwendolyngrace: (Sparky!)
My acquaintance, Amanda Jacobs, has been working for years on a musical version of Pride and Prejudice*. I've seen it workshopped at the Eastman School of Music and a full production at the Ohio Light Opera (at my alma mater, the College of Wooster).

And now she and her partner have got it into the finals of the NYMF - the New York Musical Theatre Festival:

They're raising money and the show will be presented sometime that week, off-Broadway.

So happy for her!

For more information you can go to their website.

w00t to the power of w00t!

*This show does not include or involve any Zombies.
gwendolyngrace: (FunnyGuy)
Oh, hai, LJ! I remember that I have a thing here. I can post on it. I can read up on what my friends are doing.

Yeah. I haven't done, like, any of that since returning to what I like to call real life.

Job is going fine. Still feel like I'm swimming in an ocean of things I don't understand, but it will start to make sense; I see the edges getting more and more defined each day. Of course, my Wii no longer knows who I am. I went 42 days without using it. It yelled at me. Metaphorically. (And yet I did lose weight, because my schedule really has been that grueling.)

Show (Nunsense) went okay. Would have gone better had I not caught the flu at Balticon, thus losing my VOICE three days before opening night. Yeah. But it's okay. I wish I could say this is the first time in my life I've had to deal with such a thing. Luckily, long experience has taught me how to pull a credible performance out of my butt even when I have very little instrument to work with. The notes were all there, but all my air was simply going into sound production. And the middle of my range, right at the break, was just really friggin' scratchy sounding all weekend. But it worked; it's over; I did manage to find the sound somewhere.

So I've been recovering from that and trying to force my computer to cooperate long enough to record all the necessary vocals for Lena's LeakyCon project ("The Warlock's Hairy Heart.") - gods, I need a new computer. That is next on my list, I swear.

What else? Oh - most important: PENNSIC IS A GO! I may need to cut things a little shorter than usual, so that I can be home and back at work *on* the 15th, but yes, I am going to Pennsic. Yay!

I think that's about all for the time being. Watching the Bruins (since the Penguins must win next year instead) and Game of Thrones and playing HP Alternity. What's up with you lovely folks?


Apr. 12th, 2011 02:11 pm
gwendolyngrace: (BrightIdea)
Coronation was cold. Everyone who was there knows this, so call me late to the party.

The only time I was warm was down by the playground / creek with Josie. Fun. And great timing, because we got her bored with the creek just in time for court, so the kids could babysit again.

Sunday was very quiet and relaxing. When we got home Saturday night I saw that J had only just unpacked his Christmas presents (heh), which included the pancake molds and a "pancake pen" from Williams Sonoma. This put the taste in my mouth. We hadn't yet tried his pancake molds! We must have Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and TIE-Fighter pancakes for breakfast!

So I did a quick check of his on-hand ingredients and proceeded to walk to the nearby grocery store for supplies. Alas, I did *not* adequately check his kitchen utensils. He lacked a proper griddle, and his mixing bowls are fine, but have no pour spouts. This presented a difficulty when trying to pour the batter into the "pen" for the pancakes. Unperturbed, I used a measuring cup to transfer the batter and then proceeded to punt with a large cookie sheet spread over two of his gas burners.


It was a very amusing morning, anyway. And we did manage to produce totally edible pancakes. But the molds need some, um, practice, I think. And a proper griddle would certainly help. The surface was not as non-stick as one might have hoped, and the batter wasn't cooking through to set up enough before the bottom utterly fused to the sheet. The result was that we didn't make a single successful mold shape - but I did make some cute pinwheels with the pen once we abandoned the molds. And they ate just fine, too. His baking sheet is a little scorched :( but I think it survived just fine, really.

We then dropped by fight practice just long enough to say hello and then went to the new Elbow Room to watch the Penguins win (!) their final regular season game. Then home, where we played with my Netflix account on his ginormous TV, ordered Indian, and watched a movie.

J promises to obtain a proper griddle and a mixing bowl with a pour spout before our next attempt at this. :)
gwendolyngrace: (Nerdy)
Second interview for a job I REALLY WANT, OMG, I just am so excited by this job, I wants it, precious.

Since I was basically walking within a block of my old building, I actually dropped in on Old Boss D to let him know that this is the one. Had a good chat. He recommended another agency that specializes in project management - and gave me a contact name for them. And also promised that he'd give me a stellar rec when this place calls (which I don't doubt he'll do).

Meanwhile, temp job is...temporary. Predecessor's last day was today. She had no effing clue how to train someone. Frustrating. Don't really know how things are going to go. Still don't have access to all the bits I need - which will be VERY interesting.... But at least the computer, desk, etc. are MINE now, no one making it even harder by not really giving me the ability to learn what to do. Her manual is fairly close to useless but we'll see how it holds up once I can root around on my own and make notes about it all.

Meanwhile meanwhile, I got back to the office (only about... 2 hours later than planned!) and saw that someone had called. Listened to the vm to learn that it's a recruiter. Checked email: Yup, a good potential contractor job. Called him, chatted, and sent over references (including D) and resume. Also made an appointment to see him (they insist on a face-to-face interview) on Thursday afternoon when I'm already out for my MD appointment (which is necessary to get a health attestation, which is necessary for temporary job). But then! He called back about an hour later, having spoken to D. "Oh, no, we have to get you in on this right away. Can you meet me this afternoon?" Heh. So... we picked a time and met at Starbucks nearby.

So it's always feast or famine, isn't it? Anyway...I will feel a little bad if I leave this contract job for the other, even though it's probably only about an 8-week stint. But it's an 8-week stint for possibly as much as a third again the current rate I'm making. Dunno. Mainly it's that I've *just* spent a week training and I'm not even really doing the job yet, so it seems like a pretty crappy thing to do, but I'd give them a week to find someone else. And really, it's more a question of burning bridges than feeling obligated to the temp job. Temp job is...a crummy job, in a lot of ways.

Really, really just want the direct hire job. I can't even. I'm superstitious about details, but trust me. Wicked cool, even if it's not 5 miles from home like temp job. Still haven't met key manager at temp job who has the power to reconsider my resume for a possible permanent job. Would still take 2nd-interview job, probably, over possible permanent job, just because OMG, way better (and probably better $), way more interesting. But must remain focused. Must continue applying. Nothing is certain until it's certain. Argh.

Beowulf the event was last weekend. Met some awesome folks, had amazing food, and really thoroughly enjoyed everything except the last hour or so of having sat on a bench for the previous 8 hours. The performances were each one fantastic, some truly epic, and the whole experience was simply unrepeatable. Also? First SCA event since Pennsic. (Yeah, I know. I suck.)

Got home to some sad news, though. I had a friend back in primary school, a couple years younger than I was, but we bonded over quirky satire songs (Tom Lehrer, Flanders & Swann) and showtunes, and he was one of the first people my own age who shared the obsession with theatre that I was already exhibiting. We were never "romantic" (or whatever passes for romantic at 8 and 10 or whatever), but it was an important connection for both of us, for the same reasons: Meeting someone else who was our brand of "crazy" and who made it "okay" to be different from all the other kids at school. Ben transferred out of my school after a year or two and went on to other things. We lost touch, and then we found each other again several years ago via LinkedIn. We exchanged a few emails to tell each other what was up in our lives, drifted away again, and then once again waved at each other in passing in '09 when I got laid off. Ben had also moved home (after being on the west coast for a while) and was helping his parents with their antique store.

Ben recently sustained a fall with a knee fracture and went in for surgery. He developed post-operative complications (not sure what but probably an embolism), and passed away last week. He was 37.

My mother happened to see his obit and for some reason, she felt compelled to go to the memorial. I'm really glad she did; she had no idea that Ben and I had reconnected, but she said his mother remembered me and she was glad to know that he'd made a lasting impression on us. I could say something about regretting that we didn't stay in touch, but I know better. I'm just not a very "keep in touch" kind of person, though I try. Still it's sad to think that yet another person who had a profound influence on my life has passed out of it.

Stuff: Continue to use the Wii and like it. Apparently weight loss / redistribution is noticeable to folks who haven't seen me in a while (based on the people I saw at former workplace). Got hair cut (waited until after Beowulf b/c I wouldn't have been able to braid my hair if I'd done it before) using a Groupon. May go back to the stylist, may not. Computer is hanging on (literally) by a wire. I really need to research replacing it (again, since it's been 3 months since I looked), but I would like to settle taxes before doing that. (Refund from Fed but owe MA.) Phone acted all possessed when I tried to charge it with another charger - so I really do have to get another Palm charger (not sure where the extra cord is!). Still need to do laundry this weekend. Still need to clean. I want it to be SPRING NOW, PLEASE.

Next up: learning lines for Nunsense! W00t.
gwendolyngrace: (MidnightOil)
But theatre is going well.

I kicked ASS as Vicki, particularly Saturday night. I got all the laughs I wanted and hit everything right. (And there was a reviewer and a regionally high-level director in the house, too.)

And I just got cast in Nunsense as Sister Mary Hubert (mistress of novices) - at Woodland, which is a theatre (and director) I've wanted to work with for about a year. So YAY. (And three shows in a row, basically, with only a couple dud auditions in between. W00T)

I've also booked my travel for Coronation and for Crown. I'm just waiting for Balticon travel until I'm sure about ground transportation and housing... which I hope I'll hear about soon (before the ticket prices go up).

I need a new computer so badly. Job. Then computer. Srsly.

I'm still enjoying Netflix on the Wii - currently going through Slings and Arrows - awesome show! I'm also liking the Fit tremendously, just as I suspected I would do.

Not much else to report, unfortunately. Really my life is very boring.
gwendolyngrace: (BrightIdea)
The Full Monty opened this weekend. We've had a couple reviews so far, both favourable. I'm actually mentioned in this one:

(then again this reviewer apparently generally says good things about everyone.)

Anyone in the area, remember that this Friday and Saturday (March 4 and 5), I go on as Vicki instead of Pam. Come see me! Then tell everyone there how great my performance was. ;D

I was so stressed by the time we opened that I kinda had a meltdown afterward. Mainly it was the stress of dealing with the production side (and getting caught between the director and the TD). It was an extended meltdown, too: I was fried afterward and realizing that I just wasn't in the mood to party with everyone. If I'd started drinking I think I would have burst into tears. So I went home to have my breakdown in private and not bring everyone else down. Only I was too damn tired and fell asleep before I really did anything but leak out a few tears. Hah. Which meant that the next day I had to join up with everyone to go to WERS without having finished. So I kinda continued holding it in (which meant leaking here and there, wearing sunglasses and hiding in my coat hood) so that it wouldn't bother everyone else. Got back to the theatre (and retrieved my purse, which yes, I'd left the night before), went and replaced the wiper that had split on Friday (argh), got some Dunkin, and went home. My mother had called while we were at the radio station, so I called her back and finished my detox. Then I made a mac'n'cheese and chilled out for a while and felt much better.

Also, I got my new GC's from Amazon and ordered my Wii Fit. Today I cleaned the living room a little so I'll have space to play with it when it arrives. I've also downloaded the Netflix app (apparently in the wrong order to get points on Club Nintendo :( but the important thing is Netflix!) and I can get another $100 in GC's through one of my survey-taking places, which I can use to get a new compressor microphone to start recording for a couple projects.

The job front is another issue, though. Gang. I need help - I didn't get hired at MCP (the job my replacement at NU left). I don't know about BWH, but at this point I don't have a lot of hope. Temp jobs have been non-existent.

I know one of the pieces of advice I've got in the past is to work on my resume so that it's more about accomplishments for the company than a list of things I did. It's very difficult to do that, though, when one's jobs have been so task-oriented and not, for example, the kind of job where you can clearly point to something like, "I brought in 10 clients" or "Exceeded quota by 20% for 10 months in a row". How does one do that? Then there's the cover letter. I'm really conscientious about going through the job descriptions and linking what they are asking for to things that I've done that are either parallel or similar to those items. Doesn't seem to matter. WTF am I doing wrong?

Anyone have HR experiene who'd be willing to look over my basic resumes and/or read a couple covers? If I can develop some stock phrases that I can C&P into letters, at least it's something. Or if anyone has leads on Boston-area headhunters, agencies, or contacts with whom I can network.... help?

There's really no reason on earth I should be not working. /Stress
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
I swear. My house eats things. Crap crap crap.

If I were TWO Amazon Gift Certificates for $25 each.... where would I be?

I had them. I almost used them a few weeks ago and then held off. I had them on my table.

Now they are gone.

They are not in the pile of unfiled (but paid) bills. They are not in the folder of pending bills and tax info. They are not on the table. They are not on the desk. They are not on the bookshelf. They are not on the butler's table with my dad's mail and tax stuff.

They are not replaceable.

FUCK. My house. Sometimes I hate being messy.

ETA: They can cancel the old ones and reissue new ones! Their FAQ lies - at least about the Amazon ones. Probably not for store gift cards and stuff.
gwendolyngrace: (Awesome!)
I just want to go on record: [ profile] grouchyoldcoot occasionally does very, very good things.

I received my combination birthday/Valentine's/anniversary present today. Yes, he's totally allowed to combine them because they all fall within a fortnight of each other. Especially when he hits it out of the park. Which he did last year with the all-in-one wireless printer. And then again this year.

He sent me a Wii!

Yayz. I called him and was pretty speechless. And crying a little. I'm still chuffed. Wow. Whee! (or Wii!)

I will have to get the balance board, but hey, that's not so bad. And I have Amazon GC's that I haven't used. If I can remember what I did with them.... But I haven't committed them yet and, well. Media goes on sale ALL THE TIME. This stuff doesn't.

Yeah. He's a good boy. Ours may be a really weird and imperfect relationship, but I appreciate him very much when he demonstrates generosity like this. I am excite! (Of course, now that means I must acquire games. And a place to put them. But one step at a time.) It also means once I hook it up (which will be after the weekend because HPEF is in town for our retreat), I should be able to watch Netflix on it. Huzzah! I can multitask while watching movies and TV episodes instantly (instead of having to halt progress on the computer because a movie is playing)!

I have a feeling that the improvement in my quality of life will be significant, between getting the Fit attachments and being able to Netflick and all.

Still need a job, though. But HOORAY for this major lifestyle shift!

(Also, how sad is it that I have no "happy" tags? Hm. I guess I don't post "happy" much. Sorry about that!)
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
Okay, so the show opens in (gulp) 10 days, and I go on as Vicki the following weekend. This means that although I technically have almost 2 weeks to settle my costumes, I actually *don't*, I have until Tuesday which will be the one dress rehearsal I get to do as Vicki.

However. The costumer has been very scattered and dismissive about finding things for me in that role with "that's not important" and "We have time" as the responses when I've tried to talk to him about it. He did finally start to understand that I was set for my Pam costumes but wanted to talk about the Vicki ones last night, but then I got cut off with, "That just doesn't compute right now; I just can't handle that right yet, there's too much else still to do."

Okay. Fair enough. But the reason I wanted to talk to him about it was that the other cast member who thought she might have dresses doesn't... and because I don't have rehearsal tonight, I knew I would have time to take the 1-hour drive to the Outlet Mall to go shopping.

When he finally realized that's what I was saying, he said: "Oh! Great! Go for it," although he still wouldn't go through the costume plot so I'm not quite sure what I need for a couple scenes. But the important part was that I knew I needed a flowy cocktail dress that I can cha-cha and tango in (including a kick), and that it couldn't be black. (I also need a red dress (which actually I started to talk to him about when we first talked costumes and - surprise! - he wasn't listening/hearing that I needed to be in red *as Vicki* in the same scene when I needed to be in red *as Pam*), but I have a red dress that fits and that will work for that scene. Not that I was opposed to buying one if I'd found the right thing....)

Anyway, the upshot is that I headed down to the outlets today with a short list of items that, if I found them, would be good for the show. Retail therapy, baby!

Shopping details for the clothing- and fashion-oriented )

So, a productive, if slightly expensive, 4 hours. But hey, I didn't buy 5 pairs of shoes or anything! (Dammit.)
gwendolyngrace: (Wee! Winchesters)
This is the first year I've been on Facebook for my birthday. So many people "wrote" on my "wall" - I feel a little lame about it. Is there some kind of rule that says you have to wish everyone on FB a happy birthday? Do I now "owe" all those people birthday greetings?

I'm not good at that. That's a tremendous amount of pressure! There's a reason I don't send Christmas cards or give presents at the office (when I have one). It's not that I don't appreciate it, but I'm bad at reciprocating. And furthermore, I'm just not sure how to deal with that kind of attention.

It's quite a contrast to the year when I was in a new job, so no one knew it was my birthday, I had a rehearsal that night and no one there knew it was my birthday, and I got stopped on the way home for speeding. I didn't say anything to the cop, either, but he can't have failed to see from my license that it was, in fact, my birthday. In fact, I think that's the only reason he made it a warning instead of a ticket. As he handed my my license and registration and the paperwork back, he said, "Happy Birthday" - and as I drove away, that's when I started getting misty. It was 11:30 PM on my birthday and he was the first person all day to acknowledge it.

Not that I make a habit of feeling sorry for myself on birthdays. My family really just doesn't make a big deal out of them. From the time I was about 13, my idea of a birthday celebration was to go out with family friends and maybe have cheesecake for dessert. I didn't have big parties, because among other things, in Rochester in February, you've got a high probability that everyone you invite will be sick, or the weather will be so bad you have to cancel. And nowadays I'm nearly always in a rehearsal on my birthday (at least the last 4 years!), so making plans is just not big on the list.

OTOH, I'm still having a little trouble with this birthday just passed. I know I'd have less of an issue if my job situation were not what it is. But even without that... I never thought I'd be my age and still so far behind on everything. I found out the other day that at least two people in the show, whom I thought were older (not by much, but a little bit!) than I am, are actually younger - one by a year and one by four years. Yikes. It makes me feel rather pessimistic.

I have received one very odd present... One of my birthday twins sent a DVD because, as he put it, even though he's also out of work and shouldn't be spending the money, this was "a gem" that I would "appreciate." It's called The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Apparently it's a spoof of B movies. Er. Okay....

Meanwhile, I have to take action tomorrow with the temp agency because my W-2 was supposedly mailed on 1/21 and I still haven't received it. I also want to follow-up on the jobs I interviewed for - I think a week is a good length of time to wait without making contact - and gently push to see if I can make sure they know I'm still very interested. I'm also planning to call Unemployment on Wednesday and see if I can file a claim for the temp stint. Even if it's only a few buck a week, it's something.

I've been working at the theatre (and will continue to do so next week) building sets. Yesterday we had to clean the place because they're renting it tonight - so we had to put all the set-building stuff onstage behind the traveler curtain and completely clean / reset the house for the event, clean the bathrooms, etc. And it turns out that the older gentleman who does most of their set-building and maintenance used to work for Universal! We got into a long discussion about the parks and the rides. He was there for 10 years - though I don't know if anyone he knew there still works there. I'd still like to work there, dangit. I wish there were a tailor-made job for me.... Maybe it's time to check in on that again, too.

In other news, the computer is still hanging in there (knock wood), although the case is now really pulling apart at the seam. There's a strip of plastic that's supposed to sit between the top of the case and the DVD-ROM drive that is now free-floating. The DVD still works, but it rattles while the disc is turning. But I'm glad it still works because I've got 4 more episodes of Doctor Who (series 5) still to watch (and they don't work in the DVD player in the TV)....

Speaking of watching things, Netflix brought me Ponyo this weekend. Adorable! And so definitely Miyazaki. But that song at the end? ROTFL. And all I could think was that it is quintessentially Japanese, somehow. These are the same people who brought the world Sushi TV.

Yes, my life is Soooo Exciting, everyone!
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
Interview this morning at 9:30.

Got up on time. Radio said that trains were running on schedule; buses a little slow but mostly fine.

Had an unscheduled delay but still managed to leave the house at 8:15.

Got to Waverley Square just in time for a bus. It was about as full as I've ever seen it at Waverley - which should have been my first clue.

At 9:00am, we were waiting at the light at Fresh Pond and Mt Auburn. I had no way to contact the interview site to tell them I was running late, but I tried anyway, guessing the woman's email. It failed. It took an hour to get to Harvard Square. In case you're keeping score, that meant it was 9:15.

Then 5-10 minute wait for the train. One stop to Central.

Arrived at Central at 9:20 AM and tried calling (the number doesn't connect) and a 2nd email address possibility (that also failed). Thirty-five minutes for the bus! It's now 9:54AM.

It took another 25 minutes to get to the interview site: 10:25AM, or an hour late. I let them know that if we needed to reschedule, I understood. The initial interviewer was still available to meet, so we met, but I'll have to go back at some point (we hope tomorrow) to talk to the person who counts - i.e., the PI this job would actually support.

So. 2 1/2 hours to get to the interview. Thirty-five minute interview. Stopped for a few minutes to change back to boots and check email, then back out to wait for the bus.

Any guesses?

11:35 - went out to wait
11:56 - Bus arrived
12:16 - Arrived back at Central Square.
12:50 - Train FINALLY arrived (disabled trains on the red line!)
12:54 - Arrived at Harvard Square
13:09 - Bus arrived
13:35 - Arrived Waverley Square
Stopped at Dunkin for a cup of hot chocolate to fortify me (temp and calories) for the walk home.
13:55 - HOME.

BTW, my boots aren't waterproof anymore. :(

Six HOURS. For a 35-minute interview.

Ye Gods, I hate the T.
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
This is not a Boston winter.

This is an Upstate New York winter.

I went out yesterday for a few reasons... I needed milk, I wanted some exercise, I had to go to the bank.. and even though it only took about 40 minutes to walk to the store and back, it was just a horrible mess out there.

I took some pictures this morning which are behind the cut )

But the snow has brought one good thing: My interview which was supposed to be today and got moved to Tuesday next week got moved back to Friday, so it will be this week after all! I've also got an interview tomorrow.... I hope one or the other comes through quickly

And there's some good news on the writing front (actually some really cool news). I knew that the science-fiction story I wrote for Defending the Future was accepted. We just found out who's writing the introduction...and that he's reading all the stories so that he can reference them in the introduction. Wicked cool. I'm not sure I can say who, but he's one of the best authors of science fiction featuring a female main character, so that should narrow it down considerably....

Anyway. The book is scheduled to launch at Balticon and I hope I can be there for it. Job willing, of course. I guess I really need to work on my story for BAF IV.

Meanwhile, I just watched Groundhog Day (1 1/2 times) and I think I'll put in Jack Frost to continue my Groundhog Day festival.

(Joel says I should create a blog reviewing movies and tv shows. I'm not sure I'd be able to come up with enough witty stuff to say to make it worth reading. Thoughts?)
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
Rules: Bold all of the following TV shows which you’ve ever seen 10 or more episodes of in your lifetime. Italicize a show if you’re positive you’ve seen every episode of it.

7th Heaven
American Gothic
America’s Next Top Model
Arrested Development
Babylon 5
Batman: The Animated Series
Battlestar Galactica (the old one)
Battlestar Galactica (the new one) – next on my list
Beverly Hills 90210
Big Bang Theory

Bosom Buddies
Boston Legal
Boy Meets World
Brothers And Sisters
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Chappelle’s Show
Charlie’s Angels
Cheers I think I have seen just about exactly 10 episodes. The same ones. Over and over.
Chicago Hope
Clarissa Explains it All
Commander in Chief
Criminal Minds
Crossing Jordan
CSI: Miami

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dancing with the Stars
Dark Angel But don't ask me to remember them. I haven't really seen it since it aired.
Dark Skies
DaVinci’s Inquest
Dawson’s Creek
Dead Like Me - I have the movie but haven't seen it yet.
Degrassi: The Next Generation
Designing Women
Desperate Housewives
Dharma & Greg
Diagnosis Murder
Different Strokes

Dirty Jobs
Doctor Who (original series)
Doctor Who 2005

Due South
Dukes of Hazard

Even Stevens
Everybody Loves Raymond
Facts of Life

Family Guy
Fantasy Island

Fawlty Towers
Freaks and Geeks
Friday Night Lights
Get Smart
Gilligan’s Island

Gilmore Girls
Gossip Girl
Grey’s Anatomy
Grange Hill
Growing Pains
Happy Days
Hercules: the Legendary Journeys
Hogan’s Heroes
Home Improvement
Homicide: Life on the Street
How I Met Your Mother
I Dream of Jeannie
I Love Lucy

Invader Zim
Hell’s Kitchen
Kim Possible
Knight Rider
Knight Rider: 2008
Kung Fu
Kung Fu: The Legend Continues
La Femme Nikita
LA Law
Laverne and Shirley
Law and Order: SVU

Life on Mars (UK)
Life on Mars (US)
Little House on the Prairie
Lizzie McGuire
Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
Lost in Space
Malcolm in the Middle
Married… With Children
McLeods Daughters
Melrose Place
Miami Vice
Mission: Impossible
Mod Squad
Modern Family
Mork & Mindy
Murphy Brown
Mystery Science Theater 3000

My Life As A Dog
My So Called Life
My Three Sons
My Two Dads

Ned Bigby’s Declassified School Survival Guide
Northern Exposure

One Tree Hill
Pawn Stars
Perry Mason
Power Rangers
Press Gang
Prison Break
Private Practice
Project Runway
Pushing Daisies
Quantum Leap
Queer As Folk (US)
Queer as Folk (UK)
Remington Steele
Rescue Me
Road Rules
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?
Seaquest DSV
Sex and the City
Six Feet Under
Slings and Arrows
So Weird
South of Nowhere
South Park (Again, possibly exactly 10?)
Spongebob Squarepants
Star Trek
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate SG-1

Starsky & Hutch
Still Standing

Teen Titans
That 70’s Show
That’s So Raven
The 4400
The Addams Family
The Amazing Race
The Andy Griffith Show
The A-Team
The Avengers
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Brady Bunch
The Cosby Show
The Daily Show

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd
The Dead Zone
The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Drew Carey Show
The Flintstones
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The Golden Girls
The Honeymooners
The Jeffersons
The Jetsons

The L Word
The Love Boat
The Magnificent Seven
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Monkees
The Munsters

The O.C.
The Office (US)
The Office (UK)
The Powerpuff Girls
The Pretender
The Real World
The Shield
The Simpsons
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Sopranos
The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
The Twilight Zone
The Vampire Diaries
The Waltons
The West Wing
The Wonder Years
The X-Files
Third Watch
Three’s Company

Twin Peaks
Twitch City
Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place
True Blood

Ugly Betty
Veronica Mars
Whose Line is it Anyway? (UK)
Whose Line is it Anyway? (US)
Will and Grace

Xena: Warrior Princess

There are so many of these where I've seen anywhere from 2-6 episodes... but oh well. And there are bunches of shows not on this list... like Voyagers!, The Closer, Burn Notice, Monty Python, Monarch of the Glen, Black Books, Eureka, Riptide, Simon and Simon, Buck Rogers....
gwendolyngrace: (Barack_WestWing)
I found a link to this in a post from one of you (musesfool? Marauder?) but I wholeheartedly agree with the rec and must pass it on:

Hilariously cute West Wing vid

The song is hilarious too! I recommend full screen view as the ratio is off in the thumbnail version.
gwendolyngrace: (Dueling)
[ profile] etakyma got a Wii with her bonus from work, and got the Fit Plus as well. And yesterday being a holiday we broke it all out and tried it.

Well, that was after I slipped on my stairs coming out of my house. The back steps are concrete and they were much slicker than I anticipated. I put one foot down and the next thing I knew, I was lying at a 45-degree angle on the steps. I hit my butt, tailbone, and upper back, the back of my hand (on the railing, I think), my elbows, and I scraped the back of my left leg. But hey, nothing broken. Didn't crack my head. My phone was in my front pocket, and my netbook was in my shoulder bag, which just sort of fell to the side.


It didn't really affect my ability to Wii, however. We played Batman Lego, which was hilarious because neither of us have any clue what we're supposed to be doing or how to do it. We both had our moments of fabulous remote control and our moments of epic Fail. We kept having to refer to an online walkthrough just to figure out how to proceed through the levels - though to be fair, we got through the second one almost without much hinting. The third level was funny as all get-out, because we were told ahead of time (by our helpful guide): "Just shoot EVERYTHING." Stupid, but fun. The animations are cuteness personified, especially Robin's inappropriate humour. (Though we also helped supply dialogue: "Holy Popsicle, Batman!")

After supper we pulled out the balance board and played some of the Fit games. Some of these are easier than others. (The scale's ability to calculate BMI and Wii Age, btw, is made of fail.) I think I will wish that I had access to the Wii much more often than I will have for the next couple of months with rehearsals being what they are. (Then again, if I am home again I WILL do yoga and walk more - I SWEAR.) There is a lot to be said for the psychological component of a "Game" in which one's goal is to improve at the performance of physical activities. I really liked "Rhythm Kung Fu" and apart from one or two moves did really well the second time, but for some reason had trouble with "Basic Step" - don't ask, I don't even know why I couldn't seem to get the timing right. We also tried some Wii Resort games ("Fencing" is too damn easy and Sky-Diving is just fucking weird). It is very fun and a totally easy way to fritter away hours - but much healthier than Spider Solitaire.

And now, after an entire day of OMG CRISIS!! at work, it is time to go home. Back into the storm. Literally. Joy.
gwendolyngrace: (BobbySinger)
I slept until about 10:30. Around 3:00 my landlord's guys came to shovel / plow out.... but they didn't do the walkways from the front to the driveway (just the back) and while they dug out his car, they didn't dig out mine. So I went out about 4:00 and shoveled around my car and got the worst of the snow off of it. I was about 1/3 done when my landlord got home. I was telling him that I figured I'd get to it before it all froze because I needed milk (and cough medicine). He said, "Well, there's no one at Shaw's!" put his groceries inside and helped me shovel the rest of the way around the car. I took off for Shaw's - and he's right, it was a ghost town, got home, stripped off because man, I had got all sweaty from the shoveling and my core temp went up while bundled and in the store, and showered. I'm now back in jammies and I'm all set with groceries. I should probably make dinner soon.

The roads are all clear and the buses are running, so work tomorrow will be no problem.

Snow Day!

Jan. 12th, 2011 07:27 am
gwendolyngrace: (AntiMorning)
On top of the job sitch, I have a cold. I got home last night, made Ramen, ate it, watched an episode of DW* and took pills / cough syrup and went to bed. I was in bed by 8:50 and out like a light.

I forced myself up at 6:35 this morning, got dressed (jeans because yeah, don't care now!), opened my door, started shoveling, and then said: "What am I doing?" I went online and sure enough: Work CLOSED for the storm.


There's a tradeoff, of course, because I won't get *paid* for not being there. But. SNOW DAY. I can go back to bed.

*I need to write a separate entry about the party I went to over the weekend, at which I scored all of the 5th series of Doctor Who... My kind of geeks!
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
They offered the job to the other candidate.

My last day will be 1/21. Fuckaduck.
gwendolyngrace: (Default)
Saturday, my computer decided to spontaneously shut itself off. Twice.

I was up until 3 AM backing up all the files. (The second time it shut off was in the middle of copying files, in fact.) I let the thing rest Sunday and I've been researching computers... but before I hit the "buy" button, I came home and tried turning the computer back on.

So far, so far.

However, I have now officially acknowledged my computer's need to check in to the computer nursing home... though I am still hoping I can get it to limp along for a little while longer. At least I've done the research! But I really don't want to have to buy a new computer now if I can squeeze another couple months out of this puppy.

(And I still need more memory for the netbook. I tried running HP's automatic detector to tell me what to get, but I think because it's a refurbish, it can't tell me. Argh. But it still exists as a backup.

(Why is all my tech simultaneously going wonky?)

I really do want a better DNR guideline for a computer. (The DNR on the DVD player was easy.)
gwendolyngrace: (Sad!Sammy)
This Christmas was a holiday of hand-me-down electronics. I got a GPS from Joel that had been his mother's, and then from my mother I brought back her old DVD player. It was the better of her two - I kept asking her if she'd rather we hook up that one to her bedroom TV and I'd take the lesser model - but she kept saying it made no sense.

Last night when I got home from Rochester and opened the back to unload, the DVD player slid straight out and fell on the pavement. On its face, of course. Which meant that the faceplate cracked in about five places.

At first I didn't even realize it was cracked. (Hey, it was dark outside.) But when I did realize it, I plugged it in anyway to check on it, and it turned on and the tray would open and close, but I wasn't ready to test it with a DVD because it didn't make sense to do that until I had it plugged in to a TV.

Well, this morning I got it hooked up to the TV and got it wired through the VCR... and the little "standby" light came on. But it won't stay powered up. When I click the remote power button, it comes on for a moment, displays "Sony DVD" and then shuts itself back off.


I feel really dumb for not making sure the thing was well secured (or for not opening the glass to get it out), or for just putting it on the back seat. It was 5-6 years old, but it was pristine, basically. And now it's toast.

It's old enough that I'm sure Sony wouldn't do anything about fixing it - and I'm sure it would cost just as much to replace the front as it would to just buy a new machine. Well. I've lived without a player back there this long so there's no rush to do that. It's just very disappointing to have broken the damn thing in the first place.

Unless anyone has suggestions for another way to fix it? I don't know what happened between last night and this morning that it suddenly won't run.


ETA: First off, the whole faceplate has basically come off now. And second - a little research online shows that it would cost a minimum of $120 to get it fixed ($137 to exchange it through Sony). And used identical models on Amazon start at $25.99 (plus shipping)... And of course there are about 14 newer models for under $75.

The point being that I won't be doing anything about it for the time being, but when I do feel like it there are cheaper alternatives to getting it fixed.


gwendolyngrace: (Default)

May 2014

    1 23


RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 06:50 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios